Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sarah's First Published Work

A few weeks ago, I posted that Sarah had entered a poetry contest and written a poem about Earth for the Birmingham News. Every day I've read the paper, wondering when (if?) they would publish the winners. Today was the day!
Out of over 300 entries, Sarah won Honorable Mention and had her poem published in the paper. Only 11 poems were published; the other winners just had their names listed. And she was the only Kindergartner! I'm so, so proud of her. Here's her winning piece:

Earth
We plant trees
To help the Earth
To give homes
To little birds.
The Earth needs help
to get it clean
What can we do
To help be Green?
We can plant trees
We can give an animal a home
We can pick up litter
Now that is the end of my poem.

1 comment:

Lane said...

I LOVE that she is writing so young! AWWWW! And it's actually a good poem! WOW! I can't wait to see what Sarah comes up with next!
Love A*F<
Lane