Saturday, July 18, 2009

NYC - Day Five

Saturday was great. We were on the 8:30 ferry to Liberty Island. On our way there we passed Ground Zero - the only time I saw it on this trip. The ferry ride was great, but I will say that I think it's really sad how tight the security has to be at the Statue. We stood in line an hour and a half, mostly without backpacks (and therefore without snacks or water) because they had to be locked up, and then we passed through the most intense screening I've ever experienced, just to get up to the pedestal. Of course it was worth it, of course we forgot all about the waiting once we got up there, but still - I'm thinking that they shouldn't allow so many people to go over each day if it's going to require such long waits. I wish we could have gone up to the crown (it reopened on July 4th after being closed since 9/11), but security is even stricter for that and only 10 people an hour were allowed up. Maybe next time. I went up in '98, but I'd like Perry and the girls to experience it.
After that very long visit to Liberty Island, we really rushed through Ellis Island. In fact, the girls and I mostly just walked around outside and enjoyed the gorgeous day while Perry, Susan, and Fred explored the museum and the wall.
After a restful afternoon, we walked around Washington Square with Susan and Lucy. Then the girls went out to eat with S&F while Perry and I went out for sushi. Yummy sushi, with sake and a beer, too. A real date, just the two of us, in NYC. What a luxury - thank you my wonderful friends!

No comments: