Tuesday, April 3, 2012

So Many Firsts!

On Sunday, Mollie experienced her first (and second) Easter egg hunt. I'm sure she thinks it's a very odd holiday, but she does like all the candy (well, she gets mad when I take away the sticky stuff, but I don't want her to lose that new crown!) She loved hanging out with S&A's sweet Brownie troop and collecting eggs at Hoover's largest egg hunt!






Yesterday was a tough day for Mollie (and therefore a tough day for Mommy). But after putting her to bed and reflecting on the day, I was encouraged to realize that it was really just a normal toddler bad day, not related to adoption or bonding or anything like that. She was tired because she didn't nap Sunday and didn't sleep well Sunday night. So she was emotional, and had a hard time controlling her temper. The tantrum was long-lasting, but not violent. She is doing a much better job controlling herself, and she has even said "sorry" to me a few times when she has accidentally hurt me. Major progress.
I also saw a social "breakthrough" yesterday at S&A's dance studio. We were in the little playroom, and Mollie was building a Lego tower. A couple of toddlers came in and tried to play at the Lego table with her. Normally this would set her off, and she wouldn't share at all. But this time, she looked at me indignantly (as in, "why are these kids here trying to play with MY toys???), and I said "you need to share." She reached into the Lego bucket and began pulling out Legos and handing them to the other kids. I was so proud I almost cried! It was obvious that she still needed to be in control, and she might have punched one of those little kids if they'd tried to get Legos out of the bucket themselves, but it was definitely a milestone. She still has a long way to go with her social skills, but I'm starting to think that preschool might not be a total disaster next year!
Last night was a great sleeping night. We've been having 3 or 4 great nights every week, which is improving my spirits tremendously.
Today I took her with me to get my hair cut, and she was an angel for almost 2 hours. Perry finally rescued her and took her to Chick-fil-a, where she had another first: she climbed up to the top of the play structure and went down the slide. By herself. Perry was a proud Papa!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: