Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Reading

The girls have been reading for awhile now, but in the past few weeks it has really "clicked" for both of them. They've gone from VERY early readers to real books, sounding out more difficult words and just showing tons of confidence in their reading skills. It's so exciting! Tonight Abby was reading One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish to me, while Sarah was reading Green Eggs and Ham to Perry (they're both studying Dr. Seuss at school in honor of his birthday). I told Abby how proud I was of her, and how great she was doing. And then she told me that she wanted to be able to read all of her books by herself so that she could put herself to bed and wouldn't need me to read to her anymore. "NO!!!!" I screamed...silently. I am so proud of her independence and confidence, but there are some things that I just don't think I'll ever want to give up, and reading together at night is one of those things. I told her that I'll always want to read with her at night, even when she's big enough to read anything without me. I have a friend who still reads a chapter a night with her ninth-grader, and I just think that's awesome bonding time. I can only hope-

No comments: