Sunday, July 20, 2008

TV Commercials - a follow-up

I've had a lot of emails about my concern over inappropriate TV commercials during otherwise child-appropriate programming. It seems obvious that I'm not the only one concerned. In a cursory google search, I found many, many posts about the problem, but no one working on a solution. I've sent out a few feelers to see if I can find the right avenues to pursue, and if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. One of my friends suggested that we contact Tipper Gore to talk to her about her battle with the music industry years ago. I think that's a great idea; I'm sure she'd have some great suggestions on what to do (and conversely what not to do, given the repercussions she faced).
If you'd like to help, you can start by keeping a journal when you're watching TV with your kids. What channel? What time? What program? What commercial? Ask your friends to do the same. Once I figure out where I'm going with this, I'll figure out how to compile all the data. But for now, just keep some notes if you can. Many thanks!

No comments: