Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Other Side

Those of you who know Abby KNOW that all those things I wrote about her are true, but she also has a dark side on occasion. This morning she showed that side of herself in full force.
On school mornings, the girls go upstairs around 7:00 to brush teeth, make beds, and get dressed. I know I'm very lucky because they are usually able to do all of those things by themselves with no issues. But today...well, Sarah came downstairs to tell me that I needed to go check on Abby. I started up the stairs and saw the problem: Abby had on white tights with pink and purple hearts, a sleeveless blue dress with flowers, and a sleeveless white shirt with a pink pattern OVER that dress. I wish I'd thought to get the camera, but trust me, her seasons, colors, and layers were all wrong. I'm really not picky about what they choose to wear, generally speaking. The tights don't have to match. The colors don't even really have to match. But this was just WAYYYY to much. So I told her to change, and I think that's when her head spun around. She pitched a royal fit for the next 20 minutes. I had to mark her behavior chart twice (which upset her even more, of course, but what's a mom to do?!!!) Ultimately she went to school in a pink short-sleeved shirt, a pink fur-lined vest, and pink pants. I don't think it was a win-win or a lose-lose. We'll just call it a draw. As she was walking out the door, she gave me a big kiss and said "I'm sorry Mommy. I love you." And so of course all is forgiven. But to avoid another difficult morning, we've decided to pick her clothes out at night.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Maiya and I have been having battles over clothes since before she was 2 years old. I actually don't care what colors she is wearing and it often doesn't match. Even though she plays mostly with boys and pretty roughly, she loves to wear dresses every day. We used to battle over it, esp. when it was cold. But this year, I've been able to get her to wear leggings or pants under her skirts and dresses. We do make her change to sweats or pants or leggings as a requirement when she's going biking. My main issue is so that she doesn't hurt or bloody her knees when she falls.
It's interesting the kind of attitude i get at this age, that i didn't give until i was at least 11 or 12 years old. Anyways, also just wanted to say, hi janet! i haven't been blogging at all lately, it's all FB.