Tuesday, January 10, 2012

If We Are the Body


Perry and I have always said that someday we would probably adopt. We didn’t know when, or how, or even why, but we both felt it was something we would do…eventually. So last September, when I suggested that we attend an adoption information session, he wasn’t surprised. We left that meeting with complete confidence that we were about to have another child, and we began to follow our red thread.  For over a year, we waded through the process, with document chasing, homestudy questions, required readings, and lots and lots of waiting. Mostly waiting. But now, finally, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. We have Travel Approval and will be traveling SOON!
I’m feeling excited and a little anxious. I’ve had this feeling before, at other momentous occasions. I felt it when I was driving to Austin for graduate school, and later to Los Angeles to start a new job. I felt it as I was getting ready to walk down the aisle to marry Perry, and again when I was lying in the hospital bed about to become a mother to twins. All of those moments felt like this: uncertain, overwhelming, life-changing. But all of those moments also proved to be the best things I ever did, and they are the events that I think define my life. I believe that we’re supposed to do things that scare us, and take us out of our comfort zone. That’s how we grow as people, and that’s how we grow in faith.
We have so many uncertainties with Mollie. How serious is her CP? What therapies will she need? Will she readily accept us as her family, and love us as we love her, or will she struggle to bond? How will Sarah and Abby adjust to having a new little sister? How will I handle having to give up my activities and free time in order to bond with her? Yes, I’m anxious. But I’m not scared, because I have complete faith that God will provide us with the support we need to get us through it all. Lately the song I’ve been singing in the shower is “If We Are the Body.” His arms ARE reaching: our community is gathering around us, lifting us up, and providing us with the support we need to do what we are called to do. It’s a God thing, for sure.
We have much to do. Travel arrangements, packing, painting and organizing 3 rooms. But all of that will get done. I just pray that she’s getting prepared, too. Because we’re coming. And we have a lot of loving to do.

 
Try our slideshow maker at Animoto.

No comments: