Monday, September 8, 2008

Baking

My mom is an excellent baker. We had homemade goodies almost every day when I was growing up. Unfortunately, I did not inherit that gene. I like to cook and think I'm pretty good at it, but baking is an entirely different story. It seems so precise - I'm much better when I can improvise and estimate. But, for the sake of my girls and to build the memories, I attempt to bake on occasion.
Sue gave the girls a Junior cookbook last week. They've been flipping through it. Saturday, Abby asked if we could make teddy bear cookies. I looked at the ingredients and realized I had everything we needed, so we did it. It was a lot of fun, and they really are good helpers. They help me gather the ingredients, turn on the oven, measure everything, pour it into the mixing bowl, and of course lick the beaters. I had to laugh at myself when I thought we were ready to shape the cookies, and then noticed the two eggs and the vanilla still sitting on the counter! No wonder the batter was so dry! I was scared to add them late, because I know that doing things in the right order is important in baking, but I was not willing to start over. So we added them, mixed again, and decided it was all OK. The best part was that they got to lick the beaters again after that!

Then came the really fun part: rolling balls in our hands, then mushing them on the cookie sheet, repeat, repeat, repeat...9 parts per teddy bear (body, head, ears, arms, legs, nose), probably 25 teddy bears (I lost count). They turned out soooo cute and yummy! We had way too many, so the girls delivered some to our neighbors. What a fun afternoon!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

For me, the hardest part is getting all the ingredients in the house. We are borrowing a breadmaker right now and made bread for the first time. You have to be totally accurate with the measurements. I found out that my 20+ year old measuring spoons are way off, and Maiya's toy measuring spoons are actually correct, so they've replaced my old ones. Ha ha.

BTW, thanks for your comments. I didn't see Gayle & kids all summer since they were at the lake for two 3-week trips, then they came back at the end of summer and we spent a lot of time together. Maiya says every other day that she wants to go back to the Lake.